Thursday 20 August 2015

Natalie Dormer 'Game Of Thrones' actress slams reports she condones sex with underage children

'It is completely false and profoundly [irresponsible] of anyone to imply that I condone, in any shape or form, sex with a minor. That is child abuse. A serious criminal act, that is completely abhorrent to me.'' Natalie wrote in her press release.

 Natalie Dormer


'Game Of Thrones' star, Natalie Dormer is responding to claims that she condones sex with underage children because her character 'Margaery' seduced and married 12-year-old King Tommen.
In the past, Dormer has stated how uncomfortable she felt with the scene opposite 17-year-old actor Dean Charles Chapman, who plays Tommen. However, a few of her quotations have been grossly misinterpreted and misrepresented.
Natalie Dormer and Dean Charles Chapman in 'Game Of Thrones' play Natalie Dormer and Dean Charles Chapman in 'Game Of Thrones'
(tvguide)

Here's what the 33-year-old actress had to say in an exclusive statement to the media on August 19:
''I have been troubled and deeply saddened that answers I gave in a few recent interviews have been so twisted on the Internet, or so taken out of context, as to completely misrepresent my thoughts on certain subjects. I want to set the record straight: It is completely false and profoundly [irresponsible] of anyone to imply that I condone, in any shape or form, sex with a minor. That is child abuse. A serious criminal act, that is completely abhorrent to me.''
Dormer continues, ''There are details from [George R.R. Martin’s] books that have not clearly translated to those on screen, and in this instance I consider the wedding night scene with Tommen to be between Margaery and a naive 17-year-old. If my writers on the show feel different that’s their business but I wouldn’t have played the scene if I believed different.''
Natalie Domer as Margarie in 'Games Of Thrones' play Natalie Domer as Margarie in 'Games Of Thrones'
(herocomplex)
''I play a fictional character in the fictional, medieval world of Westeros. Most of the characters are aged up from the original characters created in the books by George RR Martin and played by older actors. Some fans may feel that I am too mature in years to be playing Margaery but whether I agree or not is irrelevant, because the point is as professional actors we must perform the text we are contracted to.”
Dormer further writes, "The avid conversation regarding my older years over Dean Charles leads us to a glaring double standard in TV and film. 32-17 is a difference of 15 years. Yet there is no general uproar when in prominent projects, the age difference is demonstrated equally or in even greater measure, only reversed in gender roles. It has certainly made me think about these social attitudes myself.”
Natalie Dormer fights againt violence on girls via Plan UK organisation play Natalie Dormer fights againt violence on girls via Plan UK organisation
(wetpaint)

It's no news that the 33-year-old actress actively campaigns against underage marriage, and has partnered with children’s organizations such as Plan UK, Barnardo’s and the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.

No comments:

Post a Comment